trying something crazy

Mar 27 2010 Published by under Uncategorized

let's hope i don't accidentally bring down the whole scienceblogs empire.

// This script call is what gets MathJax loaded and running
MathJax.Hub.Config({
jax: ["input/TeX","output/HTML-CSS"], // input is TeX and output is HTML-CSS format
extensions: ["tex2jax.js"], // use the tex2jax preprocessor
tex2jax: {
// inlineMath: [['$','$'],['\(','\)']], // uncomment to use $...$ for inline math
processEscapes: 1 // set to 1 to allow $ to produce a dollar sign
}
});

[ begin{aligned}
nabla times vec{mathbf{B}} -, frac1c, frac{partialvec{mathbf{E}}}{partial t} & = frac{4pi}{c}vec{mathbf{j}} \ nabla cdot vec{mathbf{E}} & = 4 pi rho \
nabla times vec{mathbf{E}}, +, frac1c, frac{partialvec{mathbf{B}}}{partial t} & = vec{mathbf{0}} \
nabla cdot vec{mathbf{B}} & = 0 end{aligned}
]

within text (sqrt{3x-1}+(1+x)^2)

13 responses so far

• It works! I see Maxwells Equations!
    Might have to try this MathJax out myself...

• Christina Pikas says:

Apparently people aren't seeing the equations in Safari or Flock. The mathjax page says it's compatible with both, and I can see the Mathjax page preview on my iphone, so I'm not sure what's going on.

• peter says:

I'm seeing it in safari, 4.0.4, snow leopard... possibly some people haven't done their updates?

• peter says:

though interestingly, as I hit post for that comment the re-render of the page initially failed to render the equations, then blanked for a moment and when it returned the equations were rendered.
    fwiw, when this post showed up in google reader, the equations also failed to render. but that might just be because of missing punctuation in google's rehashing of the text...

• Christina Pikas says:

Excellent! Thanks.

• Greg Laden says:

I see hyphens. Or maybe they are dashes or underlines.
    Firefox 3.0.18 on Linux (Debian/Ubuntu 9.04)

• Mark says:

Took a good while to render for me in Firefox 3.6.2. Bottom line "Within ..." showed up first and i thought that was it but after reading comments scrolled back up and I see far more complex equations above that line.

• Works in Safari on my Mac but failing to render in both Firefox and Chrome...Google Reader also spits the dummy as noted above.

• Nope, I stand corrected, it did render in Firefox, it just took a couple of minutes (literally, a couple of minutes)

• Christina Pikas says:

The slowness is probably partly due to the fact that I'm referring to the script sitting on the University of Maryland servers instead of locally. In any case, it seems that this isn't the solution I'd hoped for -- yet.

• Isis the Scientist says:

Worked great for me and was a super quick load!

• Casey Stark says:

Excellent to see MathJax working on ScienceBlogs! I hope you got my email about the Safari/iPhone font files.

• Joe says:

In Camino 2.0.1, all that displays are a couple of hyphens.