An image of the #agu2011, #agu11 Twitter archive

A loooong time ago, I  showed the agu10 archive as a graph, here's the same for the combination of agu11 and agu2011. I mentioned already about the upper/lower case issues (excel is oblivious but my graphing program cares) - this is all lower case (I first tried to correct but kept missing things so I just used Excel's =LOWER()). I also discussed how I got the data. I'm going to have to probably go back and do this for 2010 if I really want equivalent images because 1) I only kept the first @ (this has all the @) 2) I don't believe I did both 2010 and 10 so I probably missed some. For this image I did a little bit of correcting. One twitter name spelled wrong and quite a few people using the_agu or agu instead of theagu. I also took out things that were like @10am or @ the convention center.

I made this graph by taking my excel spreadsheet that was nicely username first@ second@ .... and copying that into Ucinet's dl editor and saving as nodelist1. Then I visualized and did basic analysis in NetDraw.

agu2011 and agu11 largest component, sized by degree

agu2011 and agu11 largest component, sized by degree

The largest component is 559 nodes of 740 and this time you don't see that breakdown where the people who tweeted @NASA didn't tweet @ theAGU. There were 119 isolates and other components with 2,3, and 10 nodes:

Other components, sized by degree (no isolates)

Other components, sized by degree (no isolates)

eta: oh yeah, one other little fix. I took out random punctuation at the end of user names like hi @cpikas! or hey @cpikas: or  well you get the idea

Comments are off for this post